About Dr. Turek
Dr. Paul Turek is an internationally known thought leader in men’s reproductive and sexual health care and research. A fellowship trained, board-certified physician by the American Board of Urology (ABU), he has received numerous honors and awards for his work and is an active member in professional associations worldwide. His recent lectures, publications and book titles can be found in his curriculum vitae.
Best Doctor in America Dr. Paul Turek has been recognized as one of America’s Best Doctors by seven accrediting organizations (US News and World Report Top Doctors, Marquis Who’s Who, Best Doctors, Patient’s Choice.org, Top MD-Consumer’s Checkbook, SuperDoctors and Castle-Connolly, Inc.). Dr. Turek graduated from Yale College with highest honors (summa cum laude), Phi Beta Kappa, and then attended medical school at Stanford University, where he also took top research honors. He completed his residency in urology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, the nation’s first medical school, founded by Benjamin Franklin.
After completing a fellowship in male reproductive medicine and microsurgery at Baylor College of Medicine, he was recruited to the faculty of the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), one of the nation’s top ten hospitals. While at UCSF, Dr. Turek served with distinction, performing incisive and widely praised research, publishing hundreds of papers and lecturing around the world. In time, he was awarded membership in the prestigious Academy of Medical Educators and became a full professor, with an Endowed Chair in Urology.
Yet despite the international acclaim and the chance to mentor the next generation of physicians, Dr. Turek realized that what he most enjoyed was being a physician and caring for patients with reproductive health problems. As Dr. Turek explains, “I’ve always believed in scientific research because it generates medical knowledge, but what matters most to me is how that translates into good, old-fashioned wisdom for patient care.” That simple but deeply felt insight gave birth to The Turek Clinic.
Dr. Turek also knows the wisdom of unwinding. His hobbies include collecting vintage cars and longboard surfing.
Healthcare Practitioner Information Paul Turek, MD, FACS, FRSM Degree: M.D. Board certification: American Board of Urology (ABU)
Dr.Turek’s Awards and Recognition A founder of the men’s reproductive healthcare movement in the U.S., Dr. Paul Turek is also an internationally recognized master clinician and microsurgeon. While at UCSF, he was Director of the Male Reproductive Clinical Laboratory, Program Leader of PROGENI (The Program in the Genetics of Infertility), Director of the UCSF Men’s Reproductive Health Clinic and Research Program, and the director of a National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant for training new faculty in men’s reproductive health.
He has authored more than 175 publications on clinical and scientific issues in reproductive health, and continues to serve as a consultant to industry and to the U.S. government on matters relating to men’s reproductive health. He is an active member of the American Urological Association, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and the Societe Internationale d’Urologie and the Royal Society of Medicine (UK). He has been an Executive Council member and President of the American Society of Andrology.
A highly regarded teacher, he has given over 350 lectures around the world, and has chaired numerous post-graduate courses and workshops for a wide range of professional associations, including the Society for the Study of Male Reproduction, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, the Society for Male Reproduction and Urology, and RESOLVE.
Consistently named one of the “Best Doctors in America,” Dr. Turek has been interviewed about medical and ethical issues in his field by CNN, World News Tonight, BBC, Good Morning America, 20/20, National Public Radio, Der Spiegel (Germany), Reuters News, The New York Times, The London Times, USA Today, Newsweek, Time, Life, The Economist, Fitness, and People magazines. Details in our News section.
Last update: August 13, 2014
- Election to Board of Directors, San Francisco Medical Society (SFMS) 2014-2016
- NICHD Cooperative Reproductive Medicine Network, Advisory Board 2013-16
- American Society Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Star Award 2013
- HealthTap.com Top Urologist in California (Second Place) 2013
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) Cooperative Reproductive Medicine Network, Advisory Board 2013-2016
- NICHD Visioning Project, Reproductive Health 2011
- US News and World Report, America’s Top Doctors 2011
- ASRM Star Award (10+ years of research presentations) 2011
- NICHD Cooperative Reproductive Medicine Network, Advisory Board 2010-2012
- American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine (ABORM), Advisory Board 2010
- NICHD Male Reproductive Health Strategic Planning Committee 2009
- Nominee, University of California San Francisco (UCSF) School of Medicine Class of 2010, Outstanding lecture and lecture series 2008
- Nominee, UCSF Kaiser Teaching Award, Class of 2008 2008
- Overseas Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine, London, England 2008
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) – Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health (NICHD) Advisory Panel, Fertility Preservation 2007
- Third Place, Clinical Research Prize, American Urological Association (AUA) Annual Meeting 2007
- Prize Paper, Society of Study of Male Reproduction, ASRM meeting 2007
- Third Prize, Joseph McCarthy Essay Contest, Western Section, AUA 2007
- Academy of Medical Educators Endowed Chair in Medical Education 2006
- Nominee, UCSF Class of 2008, Outstanding Lecture 2006
- “Best Doctors in America” 2005-06 national listing 2006
- Yamanouchi Prize Paper for Infertility, AUA Annual Meeting 2005
- Nominee, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2006, Outstanding lecture and lecture series 2004
- Faculty of Medicine 1000 (international faculty literature review organization) 2004
- Second Prize Overall, & First Prize, Session I, Posters, West Section, AUA 2004
- Nominee, Kaiser Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2003
- 2003 Election to Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators 2003
- Grand Prize, Posters, ASRM, Annual Meeting 2001
- Nominee, Kaiser Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2000
- 2000 Life member, National Registry of Who’s Who, Year 2000
- 2000 Young Surgeon Award, American College of Surgeons, Northern Calalifornia Chapter 2000
- AUA/European Association of Urology (EAU) Academic Fellowship European Exchange 1998
- Society of Male Reproduction and Urology (SMRU) Traveling Award 1998
- Outstanding Leadership, Clinical Preceptor, UCSF Class of 2000, Teaching Award 1998
- First Prize, Posters, Western Section, AUA 1998
- Best Poster Prize, Etiology of Male Infertility, AUA 1997
- Second Prize, Clinical Research, Northern California Urological Society 1997
- Best of Session, Poster, Western Section, AUA 1997
- Citation of Distinguished Contribution, RESOLVE 1997
- Best Poster, Etiology of Male Infertility, AUA 1996
- Second Prize, Posters, Western Section, AUA 1996
- UCSF Young Faculty Development Award 1996
- Best Poster, Male Infertility Session, AUA 1995
- James L. Goebel Grand Prize, Posters, West Section, AUA 1995
- Henry Weyrauch Award, 43rd Western Urologic Forum 1994
- First Prize, Resident Essay Competition, Philadelphia Urological Society 1992
- First Prize, Resident Essay Competition, Philadelphia Urological Society 1991
- Research Honors, Stanford School of Medicine graduation 1987
- Summa cum laude, Yale College 1982
- Henry J. Belknap Prize in Biology (Senior thesis) 1982
- Phi Beta Kappa, Yale College 1981
- Yale Club of Hartford Achievement Grant 1980
Dr. Turek’s Latest Book The Netter Green Books are a veritable medical bible that has now been revised for the first time in 55 years. Read Dr. Turek’s blog article about his latest work. The book is available for purchase on Amazon.com: The Netter Collection of Medical Illustrations.
Last update: July 3, 2015
- San Francisco Medical Society, Board of Directors 2014-2016
- Society for Male Reproduction and Urology Board of Directors, 2008-2011; Secretary-Treasurer 2011-12; President 2013
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine Abstract Committee 1996-98, 2004-8; Urology Representative, National Advisory Council 1997-2000; Co-Director, ASRM-NRAC Regional Post-Graduate Course 1998-1999; Patient Education Committee 1999-2001; Resident Education Committee 2006-2010; Chairman, SMRU Post-Graduate Program, Annual Meeting 2013
- American Urological Association Best Practice Panel Reviewer 2000; Communications Office Expert 2001; Chair, National Medical Student Curriculum Committee, 2007-present
- Societe Internationale d’Urologie Chair, Infertility Postgraduate course 2004-2007, 2012 – present. Member, Abstract Review Committee 2009 – present. Chair, Sexual Medicine Postgraduate course 2012-present
- San Francisco Medical Society Board of Directors, 2014-2016.
- American College of Surgeons Co-Chairman, Urology Section, Northern California Chapter 1998-2001; Committee on Applicants, N. Cal Chapter 2001-2005
- American Association of Clinical Urologists
- Society for the Study of Male Reproduction Member-at-Large 1997-1998; Chairman, Audit Committee 1997, 2004; Nominating Committee 1998-1999; Chair, Postgraduate course 2001
- American Society of Andrology Past President 2011; Program Chair, Annual Meeting 2008
- Pacific Coast Fertility Society Program Committee 2008-present
- Northern California Urologic Society Vice President 2001-2003 President 2008-2011
- Western Section, American Urological Association 1995-present Board of Directors 2010-2012
- Northern California Chapter, American College of Surgeons Member, Local Committee on Applicants 2001-2005
- Honorary Member, Al-Azhar University Center for Research and Management of Impotence and Infertility, Cairo, Egypt
- Scientific Advisor, Egyptian Afro-Asian Assisted Fertilization and Conception Association for Voluntary Surgical Contraception (AVSC International).
- Stanford Alumni Association
- Yale Alumni Association Alumni Admissions Interviewer 2010-present; Yale Alumni Fund Class Agent 2008-present
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center 2004-2008
- Graduate Group, Global Health Services (Director, Haile Debas MD) 2006-2008
- California Medical Society 2007-present
- San Francisco Medical Society 2007-present
- Royal Society of Medicine, London, UK 2008-present
- American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine Advisory Board 2010-present
- Volunteers in Medicine San Francisco (Clinic by the Bay), Founding Board Member 2008-present; Chair, Medical Advisory Board 2009-present
Last update: July 3, 2015
- Invited Keynote Speaker. Highlights of the National Medical Student Urology Curriculum. American Urological Association, New Orleans, LA. May 18th, 2015
- Invited Keynote Speaker.Treating the Young Hypogonadal Male. American Association of Clinical Endocrinology, Nashville, TN. May 13th, 2015
- Invited Keynote Speaker. First Integrative Fertility Symposium. A Planetary View of Men’s Reproductive Health. Vancouver, BC, Canada. May 2, 2015.
- Invited Lecturer, First Integrative Fertility Symposium. Discussion Panel. Update on Male Factory Infertility. Vancouver, BC, Canada. May 2, 2015.
- Invited Keynote Speaker. Reproductive Genetics and the Aging Male. American Society of Andrology, Endowed AUA Lecture. Salt Lake City, Utah. April 19th, 2015
- Invited Keynote Speaker. 40 Years of Clinical Andrology. American Society of Andrology, Salt Lake City, Utah. April 19th, 2015
- Invited Lecturer. American Urological Association Board Review Course. Male Infertility. New Orleans, LA. June 6-8, 2014.
- Invited Lecturer. Optimizing Sperm Retrieval. The Puah Institute, Annual Meeting. Los Angeles, CA, June, 8th, 2014.
- Invited Lecturer, Optimizing Sperm Retrieval. Society of the Study of Male Reproduction and Urology, Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL, May 21st 2014.
- Invited Plenary Lecturer, Critical Discussion: Advanced Paternal Age-What Are the Risks? American Urological Association, Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL, May 19th, 2014.
- Invited Keynote Lecturer, Finding Sperm in Azoospermia: From Medieval to Modern. New England Fertility Society, 12th Annual Meeting, Newport, RI, April 25th-26th, 2014.
- Invited Keynote Lecturer, Keeping Sex Passionate and What Every Woman Needs to Know About Her Man’s Fertility. Fertility Planit.com Show. Los Angeles, CA, April 5-6th, 2014.
- Invited Lecturer, Surgical Treatment of Nonobstructive Azoospermia and Update on the Diagnosis and Management of Ejaculatory Duct Obstruction. New York University School of Medicine, Department of Urology, Postgraduate Course, New York, NY, Dec 4-7, 2013.
- Faculty, First U.S. Men’s Health World Congress. “How to Establish a Men’s Health Clinic.” December 6-8, 2013 in Arlington, VA.
- Invited Lecturer, USC Department of Urology Grand Rounds. Is it Worth Reversing Older Vasectomies? Los Angeles, CA, Oct 30, 2013.
- Invited Lecturer, ASRM Round Table: Social Media in Reproductive Medicine. Boston, MA, Oct 15, 2013.
- Invited Lecturer, Georgeanna and Howard Jones Symposium at ASRM (Chair, Marco Conti PhD). Artificial Sperm. Boston, MA, Oct 15, 2013.
- Invited Lecturer, ASRM Interactive Workshop: Medical Therapy Before TESE in Nonobstructive Azoospermia (Peter Schlegel MD, Craig Neiderberger, MD). Boston, MA, Oct 14, 2013.
- Invited Lecturer, A Planetary View of Men’s Health. Tower Urology Grand Rounds. Four Seasons Hotel, Beverly Hills CA, August 12, 2013.
- Invited Lecturer, Fertility Preservation in Men. Parenthood After Cancer Treatment (PACT), FertileAction.com, Century City, CA, August 10, 2013.
- Invited Lecturer, All About Men’s Health From PSA to BPH to ED. One Medical Group Grand Rounds. San Francisco, CA, July 31, 2013.
- Invited Keynote Lecturer, Varicocelectomy: When? How? Why? and Artificial Sperm from Stem Cells. British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS), June 16-20, 2013, Manchester, England.
- Invited Lecturer. American Urological Association Board Review Course. Male Infertility. New Orleans, LA. May 30-June 2, 2013.
- Invited Lecturer. The Implications of the New WHO Guidelines for Semen Analysis; and The Effect of BMI/Boday Fat and Age on Semen Parameters. American Association BioAnalysts and College of Reproductive Biology Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, May 16-18, 2013.
- 7th European Congress of Andrology
Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
November 29-December 1, 2012ASA-EAU Keynote Lecture: Imaging of the Male Genital Tract: From Ultrasound to MRI and Beyond
- Fertility Planit Show
Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, Los Angeles, California
January 12-13th, 2013Lectures: Male Infertility: From Sterility to Fertility, and Fertility and Cancer
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
San Diego, California
Post Graduate Course: Spermatogenesis: Mitosis, Meiosis, Recombination and Mis-Match
Paternal Age: Effects on Pregnancy, Congenital Illness and Disease in Offspring, and
Anabolics: How to Discontinue Them and Restore Native Androgenesis and Spermatogenesis
Interactive Sessions: Paternal Age Concerns: What Should We be Telling Our Couples? and Repair; Cryptozoospermia: TESA vs. Ejaculated Sperm for ICSI
- Societe Internationale d’Urologie 32nd International Congress
September 30th– October 4th, 2012Lecture: Chair, Instructional Course, Male Reproductive & Sexual Dysfunction: Latest Advances and Newest Treatments
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Northern California Chapter
Hyatt Fishermans Wharf, San Francisco, California
September 21-23, 2012Lecture: Managing the Young Hypogonadal Male.
- 25th National Cystic Fibrosis Education Conference
Sofitel San Francisco Hotel Redwood City, California
July 27-29, 2012Lecture: Men with Cystic Fibrosis are Having Children!
- The American Urological Association Board Certification Review Course
The Roosevelt Hotel, New Orleans Louisiana
July 12-16, 2012Lecture: Male Infertility
- The 2nd Gulf Andrology Conference
Riyadh Military Hospital, Ministry of Defense Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
March 3-4, 2012Lectures: Male Infertility and the Risk of Later Cancer and Current and Future Treatments for Azoospermia.
- The American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Society of Male Reproduction and Urology Postgraduate Course
Orlando, FL, October 16, 2011Lectures: Cancer After Male Infertility: What are the Links? and Fertility Restoration after Cancer: Current and Future Therapies.
- Talks @ Google
Google, Inc., Mountain View, California
June 15, 2011Lecture: Guy’s Guide to Maintaining Sexual Health.
- Society for the Study of Male Reproduction Annual Meeting
May 17, 2011Lecture: How Will the New WHO Semen Analysis Reference Values Affect our Practice?
- Pacific Coast Reproductive Society 59th Annual Meeting
Palm Desert, California
April 13-17, 2011Lecture: What male infertility can tell us about a man’s overall health.
- Stanford University Cystic Fibrosis Discovery Series Education Day
Stanford University, Stanford, California
March 5, 2011Lecture: The Birds and the Bees: CF and Fertility
- 18th International Molecular Med Tri-Conference
Moscone Center, San Francisco, California
February 23-25, 2011Lecture: Using Testicular Germline Stem Cells for an In vitro Human Reproductive Toxicology Assay
- 56th Annual Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society
Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
September 29-October 2, 2010Lecture: Clinical Assessment of the Male in the Era of ICSI
- Advancing Men’s Reproductive Health in the US
U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) Atlanta, Georgia
September 12-13th, 2010Informing Consumers of Advances in Science
- Sherman House (Getty) Salon
San Francisco, CA June 24, 2010Lecture: Stem Cells, Erections, and Men’s Health
- Endocrinology Grand Rounds
Stanford School of Medicine Stanford, California
November 11, 2009Lecture: Novel Treatments for Male Infertility
- The Eunice Kennedy Shriver Institute for Child Health and Disease
National Institutes of Health Washington, DC
November 9, 2009Lecture: Strategic Planning for Men’s Reproductive Health
- Diabetes Update and Advances in Endocrinology and Metabolism
UCSF Department of Medicine, Post Graduate Course Marines Memorial Hotel San Francisco, California
March 14, 2009Lecture: Novel Treatments for Male Infertility
- The American Society of Reproductive Medicine
Society of Male Reproduction and Urology Postgraduate Course San Francisco, California
November 9, 2008Lecture: Acquired Disorders of Spermatogenesis Male Infertility: Window into Mens Health Sperm Retrieval Techniques: Which Approach is Best in 2008?: IVF vs Vasectomy Reversal: Which is Best for Advanced Maternal Age?
- The American Urological Association, Western Section
Urology Postgraduate Review Course
October 27, 2008Chair: Paul Turek MD
Lecture: Male Infertility: Diagnosis Male Infertility: Medical and Surgical Treatment
- California Pacific Medical Center
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Grand Rounds Lecture San Francisco, California
October 7, 2008Lecture: Are Varicoceles Related At All to Male Infertility?
- The 4th Midwest Reproductive Symposium
June 6, 2008Chairs: Behr, Stearns, Farrar, BeltsosLecture: How to Manage Azoospermic and Virtually Azoospermic Men for IVF-ICSI
- 9th International Congress of Andrology
March 2009Program Committee: Paul Turek MDLecture: Debate on Male Infertility: Classic Treatment vs ART
- Annual AUA Board Review Course
Dallas, TX, June 5-8, 2008Chairs: Morey and ShoskesLecture: Male Infertility
- American Society of Andrology Annual Meeting
April 12-15, 2008Program Co-Chair: Paul Turek MD
- UCSF Urology Annual Course
San Francisco, CA
February 8-9, 2008Lecture: Vasectomy Reversal vs ART Finding Sperm in Azoospermic Men
- UCSF Urology Annual Course
An Evidence-Based Approach to Common Problems in Urology San Francisco, California
February 3-4, 2006
Program Co-Chair: Paul Turek MD
- UCSF-Collaborative on Health and the Environment (CHE) Summit
- San Francisco, California
January 28-30, 2007Lecture: Can the Male Infertility Evaluate Detect Reproductive Toxins?
Last update: July 3, 2015