About Dr. Turek
Dr. Paul Turek is an internationally known thought leader in men’s reproductive and sexual health care and research. A fellowship trained board-certified physician by the American Board of Urology (ABU), he has received numerous honors and awards for his work and is an active member in professional associations worldwide. His recent lectures, publications and book titles can be found in his curriculum vitae.
Best Doctor in America Dr. Paul Turek has been recognized as one of America’s Best Doctors by seven accrediting organizations (US News and World Report Top Doctors, Marquis Who’s Who, Best Doctors, Patient’s Choice.org, Top MD-Consumer’s Checkbook, SuperDoctors and Castle-Connolly, Inc.). Dr. Turek graduated from Yale College with highest honors (summa cum laude), Phi Beta Kappa, and then attended medical school at Stanford University, where he also took top research honors. He completed his residency in urology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, the nation’s first medical school, founded by Benjamin Franklin.
After completing a fellowship in male reproductive medicine and microsurgery at Baylor College of Medicine, he was recruited to the faculty of the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), one of the nation’s top ten hospitals. While at UCSF, Dr. Turek served with distinction, performing incisive and widely praised research, publishing hundreds of papers and lecturing around the world. In time, he was awarded membership in the prestigious Academy of Medical Educators and became a full professor, with an Endowed Chair in Urology.
Yet despite the international acclaim and the chance to mentor the next generation of physicians, Dr. Turek realized that what he most enjoyed was being a physician and caring for patients with reproductive health problems. As Dr. Turek explains, “I’ve always believed in scientific research because it generates medical knowledge, but what matters most to me is how that translates into good, old-fashioned wisdom for patient care.” That simple but deeply felt insight gave birth to The Turek Clinic.
Dr. Turek also knows the wisdom of unwinding. His hobbies include collecting vintage cars and longboard surfing. Healthcare Practitioner Information Paul Turek, MD, FACS, FRSM Degree: M.D. Board certification: American Board of Urology (ABU)
Dr. Turek’s Awards and Recognition A founder of the men’s reproductive healthcare movement in the U.S., Dr. Paul Turek is also an internationally recognized master clinician and microsurgeon. While at UCSF, he was Director of the Male Reproductive Clinical Laboratory, Program Leader of PROGENI (The Program in the Genetics of Infertility), Director of the UCSF Men’s Reproductive Health Clinic and Research Program, and the director of a National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant for training new faculty in men’s reproductive health.
He has authored more than 175 publications on clinical and scientific issues in reproductive health, and continues to serve as a consultant to industry and to the U.S. government on matters relating to men’s reproductive health. He is an active member of the American Urological Association, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and the Societe Internationale d’Urologie and the Royal Society of Medicine (UK). He has been an Executive Council member and President of the American Society of Andrology.
A highly regarded teacher, he has given over 350 lectures around the world, and has chaired numerous post-graduate courses and workshops for a wide range of professional associations, including the Society for the Study of Male Reproduction, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, the Society for Male Reproduction and Urology, and RESOLVE.
Consistently named one of the “Best Doctors in America,” Dr. Turek has been interviewed about medical and ethical issues in his field by CNN, World News Tonight, BBC, Good Morning America, 20/20, National Public Radio, Der Spiegel (Germany), Reuters News, The New York Times, The London Times, USA Today, Newsweek, Time, Life, The Economist, Fitness, and People magazines. Details in our News section.Last update: April 29, 2013
- Yale Club of Hartford Achievement Grant 1980
- Phi Beta Kappa, Yale College 1981
- Summa cum laude, Yale College 1982
- Henry J. Belknap Prize in Biology (Senior thesis) 1982
- Research Honors, Stanford graduation 1987
- First Prize, Resident Essay Competition, Philadelphia Urological Society 1991
- First Prize, Resident Essay Competition, Philadelphia Urological Society 1992
- Henry Weyrauch Award, 43rd Western Urologic Forum 1994
- Best Poster, Male Infertility Session, American Urological Association 1995
- James L. Goebel Grand Prize, Posters, West. Section, American Urological Assoc. 1995
- Best Poster, Etiology of Male Infertility, American Urological Association 1996
- Second Prize, Posters, Western Section, American Urological Association 1996
- UCSF Young Faculty Development Award 1996
- Best Poster Prize, Etiology of Male Infertility, American Urological Association 1997
- Second Prize, Clinical Research, Northern California Urological Society 1997
- Best of Session, Poster, Western Section, American Urological Association 1997
- Citation of Distinguished Contribution, RESOLVE 1997
- AUA/EUA Academic Fellowship European Exchange 1998
- Society of Male Reproduction and Urology Travelling Award 1998
- Outstanding Leadership, Clinical Preceptor, UCSF Class of 2000, Teaching Award 1998
- First Prize, Posters, Western Section, American Urological Association 1998
- Nominee, Kaiser Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2000
- Life member, National Registry of Who’s Who, Year 2000
- Young Surgeon Award, American College of Surgeons, N. Cal. Chapter 2000
- Grand Prize, Posters, American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Annual Meeting 2001
- Nominee, Kaiser Teaching Award, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2000
- Election to Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators 2003
- Nominee, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2006, Outstanding lecture and lecture series 2004
- Faculty of Medicine 1000 (international faculty literature review organization) 2004
- Second Prize Overall, & First Prize, Session I, Posters, West. Section, AUA 2004
- Yamanouchi Prize Paper for Infertility, AUA Annual Meeting 2005
- Academy of Medical Educators Endowed Chair in Medical Education 2006
- Nominee, UCSF Class of 2008, Outstanding Lecture 2006
- “Best Doctors in America” 2005-06 national listing
- NIH-NICHD Advisory Panel: Fertility Preservation 2007
- 3rd Place, Clinical Research Prize, AUA Annual Meeting 2007
- Prize Paper, Society of Study of Male Reproduction, ASRM meeting 2007
- 3rd Prize, Joseph McCarthy Essay Contest, Western Section, AUA 2007
- Nominee, UCSF School of Medicine Class of 2010, Outstanding lecture and lecture series 2008
- Nominee, UCSF Kaiser Teaching Award, Class of 2008
- Overseas Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine, London, England 2008
- NICHD Male Reproductive Health Strategic Planning Committee 2009
- NICHD Cooperative Reproductive Network, Advisory Board 2010
- American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine, Advisory Board 2010
- NICHD Visioning Project, Reproductive Health 2011
- US News and World Report, America’s Top Doctors 2011
- STAR Award, Am. Soc. Reprod. Med. (ASRM) (10+ years of research presented at annual meeting) 2011, 2012
Dr. Turek’s Latest Book The Netter Green Books are a veritable medical bible that has now been revised for the first time in 55 years. Read Dr. Turek’s blog article about his latest work. The book is available for purchase on Amazon.com: The Netter Collection of Medical Illustrations.Last update: April 29, 2013
- American College of Surgeons Co-Chairman, Urology Section, Northern California Chapter 1998-2001; Committee on Applicants, N. Cal Chapter 2001-2005
- American Urological Association Best Practice Panel Reviewer 2000; Communications Office Expert 2001; Chair, National Medical Student Curriculum Committee, 2007-present
- Societe Internationale d’Urologie Chair, Infertility Postgraduate course 2004-2007, 2012 – present. Member, Abstract Review Committee 2009 – present. Chair, Sexual Medicine Postgraduate course 2012-present
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine Abstract Committee 1996-98, 2004-8; Urology Representative, National Advisory Council 1997-2000; Co-Director, ASRM-NRAC Regional Post-Graduate Course 1998-1999; Patient Education Committee 1999-2001; Resident Education Committee 2006-2010; Chairman, SMRU Post-Graduate Program, Annual Meeting 2013
- American Association of Clinical Urologists
- Society for the Study of Male Reproduction Member-at-Large 1997-1998; Chairman, Audit Committee 1997, 2004; Nominating Committee 1998-1999; Chair, Postgraduate course 2001
- American Society of Andrology Past President 2011; Program Chair, Annual Meeting 2008
- Society for Male Reproduction and Urology Board of Directors, 2008-2011; Secretary-Treasurer 2011-12; President-Elect 2012-1013
- Pacific Coast Fertility Society Program Committee 2008-present
- Northern California Urologic Society Vice President 2001-2003 President 2008-2011
- Western Section, American Urological Association 1995-present Board of Directors 2010-2012
- Northern California Chapter, American College of Surgeons Member, Local Committee on Applicants 2001-2005
- Honorary Member, Al-Azhar University Center for Research and Management of Impotence and Infertility, Cairo, Egypt
- Scientific Advisor, Egyptian Afro-Asian Assisted Fertilization and Conception Association for Voluntary Surgical Contraception (AVSC International).
- Stanford Alumni Association
- Yale Alumni Association Alumni Admissions Interviewer 2010-present; Yale Alumni Fund Class Agent 2008-present
- UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center 2004-2008
- Graduate Group, Global Health Services (Director, Haile Debas MD) 2006-2008
- California Medical Society 2007-present
- San Francisco Medical Society 2007-present
- Royal Society of Medicine, London, UK 2008-present
- American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine Advisory Board 2010-present
- Volunteers in Medicine San Francisco (Clinic by the Bay), Founding Board Member 2008-present; Chair, Medical Advisory Board 2009-present
7th European Congress of Andrology Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany, November 29-December 1, 2012
ASA-EAU Keynote Lecture: Imaging of the Male Genital Tract: From Ultrasound to MRI and Beyond
Fertility Planit Show. Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, Los Angeles, CA January 12-13th, 2013
Lectures: Male Infertility: From Sterility to Fertility, and Fertility and Cancer
American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM). San Diego, California, October 20-24th, 2012 Post Graduate Course: Spermatogenesis: Mitosis, Meiosis, Recombination and Mis-Match Repair; Paternal Age: Effects on Pregnancy, Congenital Illness and Disease in Offspring, and Anabolics: How to Discontinue Them and Restore Native Androgenesis and Spermatogenesis Interactive Sessions: Paternal Age Concerns: What Should We be Telling Our Couples? and Cryptozoospermia: TESA vs. Ejaculated Sperm for ICSI
Societe Internationale d’Urologie 32nd International Congress Fukuoka, Japan, September 30th- October 4th, 2012 Lecture: Chair, Instructional Course, Male Reproductive & Sexual Dysfunction: Latest Advances and Newest Treatments (pdf photo enclosed)
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Northern California Chapter Hyatt Fishermans Wharf, San Francisco, CA September 21-23, 2012 Lecture: Managing the Young Hypogonadal Male.
25th National Cystic Fibrosis Education Conference Sofitel San Francisco Hotel Redwood City, CA July 27-29, 2012 Lecture: Men with Cystic Fibrosis are Having Children!
The American Urological Association Board Certification Review Course The Roosevelt Hotel, New Orleans Louisiana, July 12-16, 2012 Lecture: Male Infertility
The 2nd Gulf Andrology Conference Riyadh Military Hospital, Ministry of Defense Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, March 3-4, 2012 Lectures: Male Infertility and the Risk of Later Cancer and Current and Future Treatments for Azoospermia.
The American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Society of Male Reproduction and Urology Postgraduate Course Orlando, FL, October 16, 2011 Lectures: Cancer After Male Infertility: What are the Links? and Fertility Restoration after Cancer: Current and Future Therapies.
Google, Inc Mountain View, California. June 15, 2011 Lecture: Guy’s Guide to Maintaining Sexual Health.
Society for the Study of Male Reproduction Annual Meeting Washington, DC. May 17, 2011 Lecture: How Will the New WHO Semen Analysis Reference Values Affect our Practice?
Pacific Coast Reproductive Society 59th Annual Meeting Palm Desert, California. April 13-17, 2011 Lecture: What male infertility can tell us about a man’s overall health.
Stanford University Cystic Fibrosis Discovery Series Education Day Stanford University, Stanford, California. March 5, 2011 Lecture: The Birds and the Bees: CF and Fertility
18th International Molecular Med Tri-Conference Moscone Center, San Francisco, California, February 23-25, 2011 Lecture: Using Testicular Germline Stem Cells for an In vitro Human Reproductive Toxicology Assay
56th Annual Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, September 29-October 2, 2010 Lecture: Clinical Assessment of the Male in the Era of ICSI
Advancing Men’s Reproductive Health in the US U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) Atlanta, Georgia, September 12-13th, 2010 Informing Consumers of Advances in Science
Sherman House (Getty) Salon San Francisco, CA June 24, 2010 Lecture: Stem Cells, Erections, and Men’s Health
Endocrinology Grand Rounds Stanford School of Medicine Stanford, CA, November 11, 2009 Lecture: Novel Treatments for Male Infertility
The Eunice Kennedy Shriver Institute for Child Health and Disease National Institutes of Health Washington, DC, November 9, 2009 Lecture: Strategic Planning for Men’s Reproductive Health
Diabetes Update and Advances in Endocrinology and Metabolism UCSF Department of Medicine, Post Graduate Course Marines Memorial Hotel San Francisco, CA, March 14, 2009 Lecture: Novel Treatments for Male Infertility
The American Society of Reproductive Medicine Society of Male Reproduction and Urology Postgraduate Course San Francisco, CA, November 9, 2008 Lecture: Acquired Disorders of Spermatogenesis Male Infertility: Window into Mens Health Sperm Retrieval Techniques: Which Approach is Best in 2008?: IVF vs Vasectomy Reversal: Which is Best for Advanced Maternal Age?
The American Urological Association, Western Section Urology Postgraduate Review Course Monterey, CA, October 27, 2008 Chair: Paul Turek MD Lecture: Male Infertility: Diagnosis Male Infertility: Medical and Surgical Treatment
California Pacific Medical Center Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Grand Rounds Lecture San Francisco, CA, October 7, 2008 Lecture: Are Varicoceles Related At All to Male Infertility?
The 4th Midwest Reproductive Symposium Chicago, IL, June 6, 2008 Chairs: Behr, Stearns, Farrar, Beltsos Lecture: How to Manage Azoospermic and Virtually Azoospermic Men for IVF-ICSI
9th International Congress of Andrology Barcelona, Spain, March 2009 Program Committee: Paul Turek MD Lecture: Debate on Male Infertility: Classic Treatment vs ART
Annual AUA Board Review Course Dallas, TX, June 5-8, 2008 Chairs: Morey and Shoskes Lecture: Male Infertility
American Society of Andrology Annual Meeting Albuquerque, NM, April 12-15, 2008 Program Co-Chair: Paul Turek MD
UCSF Urology Annual Course San Francisco, CA, February 8-9, 2008 Lecture: Vasectomy Reversal vs ART Finding Sperm in Azoospermic Men
UCSF Urology Annual Course An Evidence-Based Approach to Common Problems in Urology San Francisco, CA, February 3-4, 2006 Program Co-Chair: Paul Turek MD
UCSF-Collaborative on Health and the Environment (CHE) Summit San Francisco, CA, January 28-30, 2007 Lecture: Can the Male Infertility Evaluate Detect Reproductive Toxins?